Friday night I cut up a bunch of florals so I could make more blocks for the penny pincher 8 swap. I sewed them together Saturday day, and then watched a movie and worked on the hand sewing part of my brother's Christmas quilt (shhhh Al might hear). Here are the finished blocks for the swap
Today (Sunday) I finished up the last seams on the swap blocks. Then I started playing with the purple posie blocks I won in the July block lotto on about dot com's quilting forum. I added some pretty lavender florals and some lavender tone on tones, and sewed it all together and ended up with this. I hate to do it, but I will give it to Grandma Hamburger for Christmas. She likes purple, we all know that as she has painted Dad's living room purple. technically I guess its her living room too. Anyway, here it is. I like it a lot and will have a hard time giving it up.
I was hoping to start the quilting on the purple posie quilt, but we were hit with a huge thunderstorm, with lighting and hail and the whole bit. So, I decided not to turn the handiquilter on, for fear I would have Janet's bad luck and get hit by lighting, boom there goes the handiquilter computer. (I don't trust the surge protector).
So, instead I sewed a bunch of batting leftovers together to use for Dad's quilt (in true Mr. Depression era Dad fashion, use what ya got theory) Then I started scrounging around for fabric to use on the back of Dad's quilt, and found some great National Park flannel. I pieced this back together. I like it as much as the front, I believe.
Here is a close up of the National Park flannel. Now I know this is nowhere near as impressive as salvaging an entire house worth of wood, and cramming it into your garage for future use, but hey, I didn't go to the fabric store once today to purchase more fabric, and that's using what you got at its finest, even Dad would maybe agree. Okay, he wouldn't but its my best work today.

1 comment:
Your dad is going to love his quilt (cool back!!) and I'm sure gramma will love the posies–who wouldn't? You did a great job setting the lotto blocks–simple, but wonderful! I can't wait to see how you quilt it.
Post a Comment