Sunday, January 16, 2011

Quilting Room (escape room)


I have been working on changing up my sewing/escape room for about a month now. It all started with a gift card to Lowe's I received for Christmas from my daughter. Here is what it led to.

This is my favorite corner of the room. I purchased 3 sets of cubbies with 9 cubes a set. Added the pink baskets and a bunch of boxes I purchased at various places. I hung one of my favorite quilts on a curtain rod, this particular quilt was made by LeAnn Weaver of Loose Change fame. I participated in a swap titled Twisted Mystery and I was the lucky recipient of this beautiful quilt.

This is a fun little hanging unit I purchased at Goodwill. It hangs above my cutting table and is a good place to hide chocolate shhhh.
Here is a fun way to store my pre-cut scraps. I use Bonnie Hunter's method of dealing with scraps.
This fun unit was my Mother's. She loved scrapbooking as well as rubber stamps. This was half of a unit she used to store her stamps. I use it for all kinds of things from rulers to rolls of freezer paper. On the right of it are my drawers of scrap strips, sorted by size. Again a Bonnie Hunter idea.
My cutting table. This is also a hand me down from my Mother. My Dad made this for her crafty room a long time ago. It is a blank door on legs, and I love it. I have it lifted up a bit to ease the back strain of cutting. I recently spoiled myself by purchasing a television for my room as well.
My mish mash corner for actual sewing. I have a square card table as well a rectangle table behind my thrifted sewing table. I love that it is dropped a bit and it saves on the back strain as well. Cheesy yes, but I love it anyway. Along with my old kenmore machine I purchased when my kids were small. In this picture you can also see the art bins I use to store WIPs.
I took my never used ironing board and had husband cover it with a piece of board and then we covered it with cotton batting and that strange silver fabric, and voila a big ironing board for my quilting.
This is underneath my quilting table, the backside. I keep fabric and projects in plastic drawers and bins.
The end of my quilting table is home to my computer (part time) sometimes its upstairs in the "office".
This shows the underneath, front side of the quilting table. More fabric storage. Can't have enough of that now can we?
Recently purchased table (1 of 2) so I have places for friends to sew when they visit. No visitors yet, but it is scheduled.
A better picture of my quilt. Also a picture of my thread storage. This was a bathroom over the toilet unit. I did away with the bottom and had husband hang it on the wall. I filled in some of the door panels with a cute fabric. (glued on)
Larger view of my favorite corner.
Before you ask..... Yes it generally is this clean. I know this will be hard for my sister to believe as when we shared a room as children I was a slob. LOL Now I love the clean and organized look better. :)


9 comments:

Maria Elkins said...

I love the set of drawers in the fourth picture! I think it's the one you said you got from your mother and she used it for rubberstamps. Do you know where she got it from? Is there a brand name anywhere on the unit? I've been looking for a set of drawers like that!

Colene said...

The set of drawers doesn't have a name on it, brand wise. I do believe it is meant to be used in a dentist office for dental supplies.

Unknown said...

:) my favorite room in the house! My office will be just as cool one day <3 but in black white red and zebra!

Lynn W. said...

You've done a lot to get it organized and set up. It's very, very nice. I wish I had that much space but oh well.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Colene what an awesome room! I love all of it! Your favorite corner is my favorite as well. I love those pink containers! I bet you just love working in such a great room!

P.S. I'm glad you like the organized look better now. It gives me hope for my youngest daughter! lol

jkn said...

The last comment was from your "older" sister. I thought I set it to show my name, but I guess not!

Gwynette in NW Arkansas said...

What fun to see your sewing area, Colene. I need to whip mine into shape again. How does it get so messy???

Wonky Girl said...

Wow, how did I miss this blog post? I love love your sewing area and you have so many good ideas going on there. Thanks for sharing
:)
(((Huggs))) from Foo

Rose said...

I'd give anything to be able to have a room like this!!! I guess if I did my husband would never see me, though.