Sunday, September 07, 2008

What to Do?

I am needing some advice regarding a little quilt swap. I'm participating in round 4 (I think its 4) of a doll quilt swap on about.com quilting forum. I have attempted to make a Lone Star in miniature for my partner. I worked really hard on this, and took it apart more times than I care to mention. Still, I have lost 3 of the 8 star points. Now, I don't know if I should finish it and send it, or finish it and keep it as it has missing points.
Please tell me what you think, be brutally honest here please.
Here it is. I think if you click on the picture you can see it larger in webshots.

LoneStar top not quilted

12 comments:

Ann said...

OK - great effort - I haven't sucked it up yet and tried one.
If you want permission to finish and send it off - then I ask

Will you be happy once you drive away from the post office?

Ann

dot said...

I don't really know how to answer this one. It is beautiful but I see what you say about the points. I think I would probably keep it for myself. How experienced is the person you are swapping with? How particular is the person you are swapping with? As Ann stated will you be comfortable with sending it once you walk away forom the post office? This is hard, I would probably not send it but that's me.

Ann said...

Sorry I forgot to leave a hug.
(xoxo)

John said...

Ummm, if someone can look past all of the hard work and beautiful results of this quilt in its entirety and only can see 3 missing points, then they don't deserve it (IMHO). I think you should be proud of this piece of art and by all means send it. I'd be beyond thrilled to receive something like this.

Becca said...

I think it's lovely and if I were the one receiving it I would be thrilled. I haven't gotten a "perfect" mini-quilt from a swap but all of mine I've received are gorgeous and well loved!

Gina said...

I love it and I would be thrilled if I received it. Most quilters will see past the 'design changes' and just admire and marvel over how much work had gone into it.

I would send it but ultimately the decision is yours.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

AmyB said...

By all means, Colene, send the quilt. It's beautiful, and I would be proud to own it. To me, these swaps require my best effort... not my best "thrown together in five minutes" effort, or my best "I don't really care if it matches" effort, but something that is truly my best effort. This quilt is a winner on so many levels -- fabric selection and placement, keeping all the directional fabric going the same way, and keeping way more points than you lost. It's obviously the result of thinking about your partner's preferences, planning ahead and investing a lot of time on something that's (known to be) challenging. So YES, I think it's worthy to be swapped.

Anonymous said...

You are worrying too much. I think it will be perfect. Every quilt has its own unique characteristics and you know who will love it. It is beautiful and I would take it in a minute.

Mom said...

I understand how hard these quilts are. I made one 3-4 yrs ago. Miniature can only be worse. Only you can say if you want to send it. What I can say is how I'd possibly fix it if this is your intention. Recut the red pieces, but make them larger, so as to "float" the star just a little bit. You will float it slightly more on 5 of the points, but that should be indistinguishable when the other 3 are not nipped off. ...Just my 2cents worth of a suggestion, but it is very nice, and I DO appreciate the work in such a design (I thought I ws nuts after I made this http://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/2006/04/2005-christmas-quilts.html)
Your partner better appreciate it!

Wonky Girl said...

What John said in his post- they dont deserve it if all they can see is the little nipped points. My goodness, look at the rest of it. This is the reason why I did not join the swap, too much agonizing because I am not a perfect quilter. Now, really- I would Love to recieve your little quilt!

Ann J said...

The quilt is lovely and I agree with Amy - your best is all you can give! Wish I had your courage to even try this pattern!!! Luv Ann J

black bear cabin said...

im a bit late answering this, but i love it!
perfect points are great(wouldnt we all like that in our quilts)...but i like the character it takes on being slightly less than perfect!
of course, i say that because most of mine are never perfect, and i would love to own this quilt. :)

if the person has a problem with it, then they have lost the true meaning of gift giving!

cheers!