Here is the fabric I chose. This person likes civil war reproduction fabrics.
I had originally purchased a fat quarter bundle of civil war fabrics, and it came with this strange little fat quarter, likely a piece of a panel. I figured I would eventually chop it up really small and use it in a scrap quilt, but today it seemed just the right thing to use on the back of this little doll quilt.
To make the center of the quilt, I sewed strips of fabric together, and then sewed the strips into tubes, and then pressed, and cut them the opposite way to make these little strips of squares. Then you unsew them at certain intervals to make the pattern. I really hate unsewing. Especially when I sewed some strips together wrong, and had to re-sew them. Oh well, these things happen.
Here is the first quarter of the quilt
The two halves, one is sewn together, one still in strips
The center of the quilt all together
The first border
The second border
The quilting on the back
The completed quilt, binding sewn on and hand sewn down.
I love how it turned out. I will be mailing it out tomorrow on my way to work. I had lots of fun making it, and I hope the recipient likes it also. Cross your fingers, this is always the scary part for me.

4 comments:
i cannot believe you finished it already!!! WOW! that is awesome! And it looks great....what fabulous inspiration for the rcvr, who probably hasnt even picked out their fabric yet :) heheheh
cheers~
lisajo
Colene, you are a machine! I can't believe you finished already. hehehe
It looks great. I love the colors and fabric you used. Fantastic!
Love your little doll quilt--you did a fantastic job!
A beautiful little quilt! Makes me want one of my own.
Donna D., Columbus, OH
Post a Comment