Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Dyeing wool with koolaid

I am playing around with dyeing wool with koolaid and thought my blog would be a good way to document what happens with each formula. I will show a before picture as well as the formula and what I used for a mordant.

On this day I used dawn dish soap as a mordant, just a couple drops.  I made one batch of green and one batch of red.  I used for the green one package of orange and three packages of lemon lime koolaid.  I put most of the wool in at once, but did hold back for about one minute on a couple pieces.  I had thrown in a small piece of a plaid that I wasn't sure about and it turned out to be my favorite.  I was going for a duller green than I ended up with, next time maybe only 2 lemon limes.

This first picture is the before of the fabrics I used.

The next two pictures are of the formulas I used
This one is 1 orange and 3 lemon limes.  I soaked the wool in water with a couple drops of dawn for about an hour before dyeing.

This one is one pink lemonade and one black cherry

Here are the greens after about 30 minutes
 The reds at the same time



greens after being rinsed, but still wet


Reds rinsed, but still wet


drying on the line on a partly cloudy day





Greens all dried

The green on the top of this pile is the plaid I wasn't sure about.  Its my favorite.  the two shades below it are from the cream fabric, one put in right away and one a minute later, same with the two houndstooths, the lighter was put in the dye a minute later, my least favorite is on the bottom of the pile, top of this picture, its a light light green, didn't pick up much of the dye.  I'm not sure why maybe its got a bit of polyester in it.  I try to stick to at least an 80/20 wool blend.  The full wool took the dye better of course.


Reds all dried


No comments: